27.4.06

my grandmothers best friend

so i spoke to my grandmothers best friend a few minutes ago, which is quite odd and blog worthy as i never actually knew my grandmother! my father was evacuated during the war, and raised by a foster family. thus, we he refers to "his parents" it is the adoptive ones he is talking about...as for my biological family...well i dont know much about them at all, and i dont think my father knows much either. so, it was a bit of a surprise when some elderly lady wrote to my dad saying she was my grandmothers friend and had some of her things to give to us. thinking this was a bit odd, my father asked me to call the woman, and sure enough, a working class glaswegian voice answered and filled my ear for the next 30 minutes on minute details of events that happened decades ago and involved people i never heard of, much less met. half of what she said was in gaelic, which i am ashamed to say i barely understand, other than the obvious nicities. so i am supposed to meet this lady sometime next week to pick up two tins of my long-dead grandmother's possessions, includding, i am told, her wedding ring. my father has given me orders to take the stuff to Oxfam, but i will go through it first. the problem is that i dont think the woman realises exactly that i have never met her friend...or maybe she is going a bit senile and doesnt understand/ remember that i am way to young to have a clue about what she is talking about. in any case, i am going sometime soon for tea...,.should be interesting!

on a separate note, paul has returned to the post TTB dating scene. he met the polish girl last night to take her for dinner. iain tried to prompt him on the polite and chivalrous way to approach women, but i am not sure how successful he was, paul met the girl at 8 for dinner, and they were back in his room by 9....i guess they ate quickly...?

5 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

amazing story! please keep us posted on further developments. (this is yet another story worthy of a Globo telenovela).

naneh a dit…

i know, i am quite excited about this myself. it is really bizarre and just happened out of the blue. i dont really know what will come of it, but their will be an entry as soon as i meet the lady, i promise!

naneh a dit…

i will, i will...i just have to meet this lady first!

Anonyme a dit…

so when are you meeting this old lady? :)
we cannot wait...

naneh a dit…

gosh, i never imagined this entry would prove so popular...well i havent met the lady yet, but i suppose i shall soon as i am leaving the country shortly and i definately want to have things sorted before then! i promise i will keep you all posted!