25.4.06

last sunday...

So yet again i find myself on the eurostar, watching the grey French countryside go by and waiting to get home. I am trying to summon the courage to go down to the restaurant car to get something to eat, but my memory tells me that all the food they serve is dodgy, which lowers my motivation to move. I am sitting with 3 Australians and trying to decipher their strange culture, in which, it would seem, beer plays a major role. They are gastarbeiting in England and comparing notes…such as the number of years so and so worked before being able to buy a house back in oz, and when you should send money and when you should not. I have never had much involvement with the oz community, even though everyone seems to think that I sound like one of them, so this is a cultural experience for me.
Hey, they even have their own oz-in-england magazine. Weird. Amazing the things you can learn on trains.I spent last night at cam and tony’s house in the 5th. Tony in one of his (many) rants tried to claim that having random conversations with uninteresting people is a waste of time. But I totally disagree; all knowledge can be rendered relevant under the right circumstances. You never know when some random tidbit might serve you to advantage. So I am now learning about Adelaide, which is apparently the size of Glasgow, although I expect it has better weather. The ozzies have interesting jobs, one is a mannie. If you haven’t heard that one before, it comes from nanny, but pays a lot more money, like 800 quid a week in addition to a free flat. Totally ridiculous. The guy basically works with 2 kids everyday and gets obscene cash. He was an independent school PE teacher before, but stopped since the mannie job paid so much better. Furthermore, he got is brother a mannie job with a rich family in Moscow, and the brother gets bodyguards in addition to the grotesque salary. He was a lawyer before, in the city. Maybe I should consider becoming a nanny?

Aucun commentaire: