4.10.05

retarded student quote of the day

I taught them the term “small talk.” i reminded them that different cultures have different ways of greeting acquaintances and making small talk. I asked for the students to give examples, so the japanese described how he would bow and discuss traffic or the the weather in tokyo. The german would shake hands. Then the squad of french and italians said they would kiss. I said that this showed how, yes, different cultures have different ways, and while it is perfectly acceptable for two guys to kiss each other in, say, avignon, it would not be considered normal behaviour a british city, such as cambridge.
Aurore, one of the franco-italian squad, couldnt accept this. “but cambridge is a university town!” she protested. “and?” i asked, not following her train of thought. “so the people should be more educated and cultured!”
Agh! Of course! Now i see the light: to be cultured is to behave french!
Funny how such comments come from french, or germans, or americans.....but not from poles or taiwanese. My last class had only two boys in it: carlos the prematurely overdevelopped sneering macho from caracas (complete in tight jeans, tight black t-shirt, greesed back hair, and gold chains) and ahmed, painfully shy, pudgy, underdevelopped saudi hiding in super baggy clothing. Sévérine (of toulouse) kept falling over carlos. Tomiko (of kyoto) would have liked to as well, but she is both plump and plain, so every time she approached carlos, he sneered her into retreat. Finnally, the bell rang. Carlos winked at me at me as he left the room (who the hell winks at their teacher????) and ahmed tip toed up and asked me in a near whisper if i knew i had a saudi name. I answered yes, my name is arabic. Ahmed leaned over conspiratorially “my sister has the same name” he announced. He then bolted from the room, as though he had just confessed a grisly murder. Teenagers are strange!

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

And it seems that you have a handful of "those" teenagers to deal with. Reading your post reminded me of this particular priest, who was the head of the Catholic school where I spent my first 15 years of life (oui!). By the time we turned 13 - finally becoming teenagers - we were in 7th grade and on the first Morals and Religion class of that year, taught by him, he gave a speech about how we were now officially nothing, zero, nada. Among other terrifying things about the "state of teenagehood" (at the time it scared me, I confess), he said that we, as teenagers, were nothing but "nil humans".
And he went on and on saying how evil we all could become during this time of our lives because we were an easy target for the devil and all his temptations, blá blá. I don't really remember all he said, but I know it was one of the freakiest speeches I've ever heard coming from a "catholic church" person (and I heard a lot from "them")!
Yuk!
I know the last thing you will do is to freak out "your" teenagers!HA!

naneh a dit…

ha ha ha your story is totally appauling. i thought those things didnt happen any more...it sounds like something from that spanish movie bad education....
well i try to be cool with the teenagers, but i dont know how long i will manage. they are already driving me insane. i try to see everything in monetary value.everytime i leave work, i just think about the amount of money i made that day with the little wretches.......otherwise i wont manage it i fear!