15.4.09

on the road, again

Another crazy flight schedule- three countries in one bank holiday weekend. To make things more stressful, the night before I left England, I had a third and final job interview for a position I had wanted. So instead of packing sensibly, I was pacing about in panic mode. They promised me an answer by the next day. But when I called the recruiter handling my case from Amsterdam…he had heard nothing. Hours passed. Nothing. Panic. Were they offering it to the other person first and waiting to get their response before rejecting me? I wandered nervously around schipol. Answers weren’t coming and I put it out of my mind.
Yet after a 10 hour flight across the atlantic, I turned on my mobile, while still on the plane, and found a text message informing me that I had got the job. I squawked and the flight attendants looked at me nervously. The salary is higher and I was most likely facing redundancy in my old job anyway. I had known it was time to move on. But getting a new offer of more money as quickly as I did surprised me. We are in the middle of an ongoing recession, and I just feel really lucky to have got anything at all, never mind an offer so generous. I just hope the offer turns out to be as good as it seems, although a year of working in the City has made me suspicious of everything…

Aucun commentaire: