23.4.09

kindle 2

Ok I confess when ereaders first hit the market, I was deeply suspicious. I love books. I love holding them, I love having them in my house. It didn’t seem possible that a little hand held electronic device could come close to the power of printed matter.

But after three years of working in a bookshop, and being flooded with free samples, I had amassed a book collection of ridiculous proportions. Then it came time for me to move flats. I took load after load to a used book shop. I sold off hundreds of books. I gave away the ones the used bookshops didn’t want. But I still had 30 boxes of books left. Some are collectors items from previous centuries. Some are signed by famous authors. Some I just love….but then some are simply interesting books I have read, yet may never read again. Considering in particular the latter category, I decided to go digital. I did the same a few years back when I got an ipod. It was one of the best moves I ever made.

So now I have a kindle 2. it is an amazing little machine. It can store 1,600 books at a time, it is super light, and when I am really bored at work, I can discreetly prop it on my desk and read fiction! Or I can put on headphones and have it read to me! It makes long intercontinental flights so much more pleasant and luggage free. So I have been won over. I still love my books. I intend to keep many of them. But for those one-off reads, I am very happy with my kindle

Aucun commentaire: