15.4.09

MOA


This was my second trip to the Mall of America in Minnesota. My first is covered in an earlier entry from July 2006. rereading it, I see that my first impression was one of shock that the complex truly seemed to be the highpoint of many peoples lives in the Minneapolis area. People were actually proud of their shopping mall and saw it as one of the chief highlights foreigners should be shown! At the time, such rampant displays of consumerism horrified me.
What scared me this trip around was the emptiness. Except for the entertainment complex in the middle of the mall, which was still filled with screaming kids, much of the mall seemed empty. The global financial crisis has hit here hard. All the shops have sales, not just symbolic ones, but 50-75% ones. even summer clothes are on sale, and the items have only just hit the shops. In banana republic I found myself the only customer. In Abercrombie and fitch I bought cashmere jumpers for 10 DOLLARS that I know cost 80-120 POUNDS in London, an over 90% savings. i was so shocked that I bought three, but I don’t know why I didn’t get more, at that price. The sales assistant at the till desperately tried to push some last minute add-ons: did I need socks to go with those jumpers? Perfume? Maybe a scarf?
The feeling of emptiness is not only in the mall. The town seems abandoned too, except for some groups of kids wandering about with hoodies concealing their heads. Several signs announce “closing down sale, everything must go!” Some buildings are just boarded up entirely. Pensioners tell me about their shrinking reserve pots and cutting back on meals. Things might be bad in Europe, but they are definitely worse here.

4 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hi mate,

Very interesting post. I, for one, had no idea how bad the recession is over there.

And, boy, you do do a lot of travelling!

One bit made me laugh though:

"such rampant displays of consumerism horrified me...
...i was so shocked that I bought three, but I don’t know why I didn’t get more"

LOL! I'm with you there! Horrified by the malls, but loving what they have to offer! It seems rampant consumerism is more ingrained than we think!

All the best,

Marcus

naneh a dit…

you are completely right in pointing out the obvious contradictions in my entry. the thing is, of course i personally cannot resist the temptation to buy three cashmere jumpers for the equivalent of 20 quid. yet when i see an entire collection of space dedicated to rampant materialism, i am disgusted. of course, there should be some form of balance. we ALL need to buy something at some point in our lives. consumers do not suck by definition, we are all at some point in our day consumers...but too much is sickening...what to do?

Anonyme a dit…

Hi,

Like I say mate, I'm entirely with you on this! I'm the same! I guess the best we can do is make sure that we really need those jumpers, and that we get the most use out of them that we can. That'd be my approach anyway.

But, yes, interesting problem we have for ourselves here! LOL

All the best,

Marcus

naneh a dit…

ok, the next time i pass a pile of cashmere jumpers going for 10 dollars each, i will remind myself of the obvious truth- i have several already and i dont need more!!