11.2.09

KL


I like big, modern Asian cities. In particular, I like their anonymous height. My hotel room is on the 30th floor of a huge modern sky scraper. I am sure my father (who hates such things) would say it was ‘characterless,’ but I quite like things that way. It is modern and comfortable. I have a huge bed, and a remote control that does everything from monitor the temperature, to control all the light switches. If I am in bed and I want it warmer, I just press the plus button and everything is taken care of. And then there is the view. I love standing at my window and watching the traffic below. I love staring at the other skyscrapers, none of which are quite close enough for me to see in or for anyone to see me. I could stand totally naked at my window (not that I have) and no one would see me. But I can see the first trains, monorails, go by in the early morning, and watch the men on their scooters racing off to work. I can watch the sun turn funny colours as it falls quickly in the west, and the bright lights of the space age buildings in front of me switch on.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hi mate,

You're not heading up to Bangkok next by any chance are you? It'd be great to get get a coffee and catch up!

All the best,

Marcus

naneh a dit…

i really sincerely wish i could be having that coffee with you now in bangkok, but alas i am aready back in my drab london office.
you have the right idea, being exactly where you are mate.