11.10.06

maybe this world is too small

so a few entrees back i accused moscow of being an overgrown village. in the space of 24hours i had run into my ex-flatmates ex-girlfriend on tverskaia, followed by my ex-classmate who turned out to be working in the same office building as i.
well it seems the same must be said of London. today i was walking in central london when i thought i saw a familiar face. "impossible" i thought to myself....but then the face looked back at me with the same stunned expression and shouted "je crois pas mes yeux!"
it was limou, a senegalese girl i knew in paris. she had been a receptionist where i had worked, and now she is here trying her luck in london, and she was tagging along behind some guy named matheius whose nationality i couldnt figure out, but he obviously didnt speak french. Limou says a couple of our other acquaintances from that time are here.....she said everyone is going out for drinks saturday. i found myself searching for excuses and running off towards the library.

10 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

just imagine: I come to London for the first time in 10 years, I'm just about to start my 1st year at the LSE, I still haven't found a flat so I'm staying alone in a hotel... on my 2nd day I met Prof. Dmitrieva from my kafedra (medieval studies) down in the lobby!!! but the story didn't end there: Dmitrieva told me she was moving from our hotel to one of her best friends' house... and than in a couple of days I met this friend's daughter at the LSE! and after talking for a while we discovered that her father was in the same year as my parents at the MSU economics faculty :)))

naneh a dit…

oh that is wierd....
mind you, when i had my second interview for the programme i am now on in london, it turned out that the guy interviewing me had been my fathers roommate in obshaga at leningrad university in the 1960s.....
so obviously, the world is too small

Tatiana a dit…

Oh, dear... :))))))

what are you doing now, btw?

naneh a dit…

i am down the street from IKEA, and often at LSE

Tatiana a dit…

i mean, are you still at UCL?

naneh a dit…

of course, i am YEARS away from graduating at the rate i am going. but at the moment i am using the LSE library more

naneh a dit…

....donde estas tu ahora?....en espana????????? hay una personna in girona que esta leyendo mi blog....y estoy sigura que no tengo amigos in girona....

Tatiana a dit…

LOL that's funny

I must admit I went to Girona the day before yesterday! (btw, my half-brother was born in Girona last December), but I'm back to London now

in fact, i'm sitting at the LSE library right now and I'll probably be here tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and the day after the day after tomorrow, and... )) so we might go to Plaza for a coffee one of these days!

p.s. are you a facebook.com user?

naneh a dit…

ok coffee it is.....
uh, do you have family in girona? or was your brother born there magically? wow there must be a real age difference between you guys!

Tatiana a dit…

well, my mom is russian and my stepfather is french, they've never lived in Girona but they've got a house nearby in lloret de mar. they both love the place (actually, i love it, too) and so when my mom got pregnant she decided to give birth in Girona because she liked the city and there was a nice hospital there