21.7.09

budapest

There is possibly no place I would rather be on a warm july afternoon than outside a café on Liszt Ferenc ter having a glass of wine with friends.
It is truly amazing how the standard of living, at least when it comes to such minor daily pleasures, is significantly higher here than in the north western regions of the continent. It has been six years since I moved to this city, and five since I left, which in itself shocks me. It seems so recent. I can still vividly remember the mornings running down Andrassy ut, late for a historiography lecture. Every time I come back here it seems like time has stood still for me. I went back to my old department, and wandered around the campus. Little had change, which reassured me that not too much time had passed. In the evening we all met again, the great ceu gang. It had been two years since we were all reunited in one city, and it was good to catch up with everyone. On the surface not much had changed, although new boyfriends and girlfriends appeared, struggling to catch up on our cliquish and ancient gossip (do you remember 4 years ago when….). We were all there for Kati and Gabor’s wedding, it was warm and sunny, and the mood was festive. We drank, ate and smoked far too much, and I realise that while I will never and probably could never live again in this wonderful place, I do indeed miss it terribly. In the middle of the night I walked back from the castle district to my hotel in Pest. Climbing down the steps below the castle, I stopped for some moments and looked back, amazed at just how beautiful Buda is all lit up. I eventually found my way down to the embankment, there was a concert being spontaneously staged by some guys with guitars and an amp. People were playing football and table tennis alongside the Danube. Skateboarders and cyclists were still out, and meat was being grilled on open fires. It was a carnival atmosphere, and yet it was just an ordinary summer Saturday evening. The music echoed across the river, and I could still vaguely hear it as if got off the Chain bridge in Pest, and stumbled off to my hotel.

Aucun commentaire: