26.8.08

dilemmas

When you work for the media, I guess you get used to dealing with lots of unexpected people and situations. i never would have guessed three months ago that I would have had some of the experiences I have recently. I have had breakfast with the Malaysian minister of tourism (lots of charts on the success of the Malaysia Truly Asia campaign) and I have one with the prime minister of Georgia coming up at the Ritz in Geneva in a few weeks. I have also met some powerful bankers, industrialist and government officials. But I still have yet to figure out how to deal with my increasingly odd correspondence. This morning I came in to find this email waiting for me. Honestly, my heart goes out to the people of Somaliland. Everyone I know who has been concurs that it is functioning as a separate entity and has been for years….but I am neither the UN nor the president of anything- what can I do? i am just a poor phd student!!!!

Dear Madam,

Kindly pass my greetings to H.E the Minister of Foreign Affairs

I understand the Russian Federation is in discussion to recognise Abkhazia and South Ossetia. This is welcome news to us people of the unrecognised republic of Somaliland as we share the predicament of these two peoples and the people of Transdniestra too. Your Excellcies we have been seeking recognition for 17 years. We have far more de facto and de jure claim to Statehood than Kosovo and all other countries of former Yugoslavia none of whom suffered anywhere near the oppression we in Somaliland suffered at the hands of Somalia. Your Excellency I challenge anyone to look into this in any detail and come to any different conclusions. We have secure borders, clear historical timeline of nationhood, elected national and local institutions, the rule of law, our own currency and passports; our own legal system and seperate judiciary yet we have been ignored and dissmissed by the Western nations for reasons beyond our comprehension. It appears they have one rule for the Balkans and the Caucuses and Russia and another for the rest of the World.

A recognition of Somaliland will show Russia is principled nation which values the self-determination and human dignity for all nations unlike the patronising West who are smothering our young nation to death with neglect and indifference. A recognition of Somaliland will also once more demonstrate Russia has its own independent global policy which is based not on self-interest like the West but on principle. It will win Russia an eternal little friend on the shores of the Red Sea. It will be the first African nation which Russian is taught in schools. Russian companies will be given a priority on investment. Putingrads and Medvdevgrads will adorn the deserts of Horn of Africa.The Port of Berbera which you built in the 70s will be open to Russian ships and navy. Most importantly you will show the West's poltical hypocrisy and double-standards when it comes to international affairs. And there is not one single negative poltical fallout for Russia from recognsiing a deserving little country. Even Somalia itself is happy for Somaliland to secede. Ask their ambassdor in Moscow.

Thank you,

X

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

Hey I have been to Somaliland. The place rocks. It is fascinating. I hope one day, the brave people of this nation shall, too, achieve their aims after years of sweat and tears.

naneh a dit…

yeah but now that all these places are getting independance, you wont be able to say anymore that you have been to all the countries in the world. actually, i think i have one up on you now: abhazia!