30.9.08

georgia on my mind

Ok I expected some sparks to fly when I announced that, well, I had been offered a free trip to Georgia.

And of course, working for a Russian company, I know to expect conspiracy theories to miraculously pop out of no where….but still I found the reaction overblown.

Yes, there was a big coincidence, I met the Georgian prime minister over some drinks and the very next day was invited to spend a week in a Georgian ski resort. i admit that looks suspicious. But (unlike my employers) I do not think that there is a plot to have me kidnapped, enslaved, locked in a harem, or made the personal toy of the government. I tried to explain that my friend had been there on the same programme and in the same circumstances…..but I also made the mistake of mentioning that certain friends very polish name….

So now it is official: there is an international Polish-Georgian conspiracy against the motherland!!!

'Have you written your will yet?' Asked my boss this morning as he came into the office…..no, I haven't, so if this blog mysteriously goes off the air in the next two weeks, will someone continuing feeding my furry companion? No reason why a cat should fall victim of international disputes!

2 commentaires:

Tatiana a dit…

what's exactly the mechanism of getting these free trips to Georgia? I'd love to go, too (never mind the anti-russian plots)!

on the serious side - it sound all very funny about your Russian boss/colleagues being afraid of Georgia/ the Georgians. I guess the whole of the Soviet Union used to go there on holidays (well, at least those who could afford going on holidays at all), stuff like боржоми, воды Лагидзе, хачапури, лобио, чахохбили were well known and loved all round the country... How can collective memory change that fast?!

naneh a dit…

indeed. it is all so depressing-how quickly history was rewritten! but to what end?