24.7.08

double life

It is more a triple life in reality, as I am supposed to be doing a phd. But that has been relegated to the side for the moment. Even I can only juggle so much.
So yesterday I left the office at the usual time, with the usual pleasantries of the "have a nice evening sort." But my evening directed me to my other job for the annual stock take.
I get called up for this every year. This is partly because I am one of the few who is willing. Most people complain endlessly that it is dull and inconvenient, but my view is pragmatic: free pizza, easy work and double pay. I don't see any reason to object! My entry from last year describes the routine: squads of around 40 indian guys come into the shop right after closing and start beeping the books. They spread throughout the place, and we follow with endless sheets of paper, checking up behind them. We work through the night, mainly underground (our lowest floor is Europe's largest underground trading area) wandering around the shelves like zombies, refuelling on bad pizza and nachos when necessary. This year, as the "experienced" member of staff I had to go through the safe and cash office as well, counting up every piece of paper that could resemble a voucher or certificate.
Every time they send me home in a taxi (which they have to do by contract after midnight) I wonder at how empty the streets are. The city whirls past and only the occasional drunk reveller is still on the street. and I know things will look very different a few hours later when I am heading back to the centre, to my other job, and it all begins again…..

Aucun commentaire: