13.3.11

lisbon


why has it been so long since I was last here? I love this city! I have been here a few times before, visiting Lemurana, but since she relocated to england, I havent returned even once. as a result, I forgot just how much I like lisbon. I think it is one of the most manageable and most attractive cities in europe. what always sticks In my mind about it the most (besides the pasteis de belem) is the sun. they actually have proper sun here, the kind that makes me squint even in the winter. that kind of sun makes me feel warm even when the temperature is not particularly warm, and it makes me feel happy even as i have to sit and endure hideously dull meetings on obscure topics. but beyond the sun are the cute (and i don’t mean to sound patronising with that word, i am totally and unusually genuine here) streets and trams. i love plopping myself on the 28 and riding around aimlessly staring out the window, it costs nothing but i find it a completely satisfying excursion. i continue to ham up the tourist thing by going and eating pastries with espressos in every neighbourhood i find myself in. i cant help it, they just always seem to be calling me! finally, i end up shopping. the shops here, even the big Iberian chains, are way cheaper than they are in england, even though portugal technically has a higher VAT as a result of its extremely difficult financial situation. by the end of the day i have to force myself to stop as they simply will not let me back on the plane it i have anything more with me. i have bought dresses and jumpers and find myself ogling bedsheets when I realise I need to exercise SOME self control here. but I think there is really a quite simple solution- I clearly just need to come to lisbon more often.

Aucun commentaire: