13.10.08

land


The natural setting of Bakuriani is stunning. I arrived around 7am. I was tired from the overnight flight and I must have dozed off at some point in the ride over from Tbilisi, because all I remember was that at some point I opened my eyes and saw we were on a dirt road surrounded by mountains on both sides. It was so dramatic that my tired eyes struggled to take it all in.

This place has a great possibility to be one of the best skit resorts in Europe, I have become convinced. This potential has not escaped the notice of the Georgian authorities, which has recently started to pump money into the region. Thus, Bakuriani is a place in transition. Part of it has the feel of a backward and decayed village- there are mud roads and poorly constructed wood houses, and babushki sitting on broken benches watching the world go by. Yet, at the same time, much of the village is under construction, as luxury ski resorts are being constructed all over the area. Our hotel is not one of the top top range, but it is nice nonetheless. There is a sauna, a swimming pool, a fitness room, a billiard room and a cinema inside. Every day we have our breakfast in a glassed in terrace overlooking the woods. No complaints from my side….

Aucun commentaire: