13.4.07

alibaug



This village once, a few centuries ago, had the audacity to invade Mumbai. They were repulsed, and if the present state of things is any reflection of the past, I can see why and how.
Alibaug is a shithole of nothingness. It is about an hour and a half from Mumbai by boat, it would probably be even less if you could find a boat to take you whose engine wasn’t prone to breaking down. Despite its proximity, however, it appears to be on another planet. It is ignored in the guidebooks, neither my time out nor max’s lonely planet made mention of the place. Indians from Mumbai apparently go there to relax, at least so Aaron’s friends claimed. I suppose if nature is your thing, it must be a relaxing place: there is absolutely NOTHING going on in that place. It is a village that seems completely lost in the wilderness. As we drove around in our rented rickshaw, people waved and ran after us, asking to be photographed with us. The people were very kind and anxious to show us the best of alibaug, which consisted of a “museum” (a house with a few statues) and a “resort” (a building with a few hammocks that served some lethal looking food). The rickshaw driver didn’t even get angry with Aaron, who stole his rickshaw for a good 15 minutes.
I am not really a nature person. I spent my childhood in terror of having to go for a weekend to someone’s dacha. There is nothing I hate to sit on more than fresh, clean grass. So, needless to say, I was quite relieved to get back to the urban civilisation of Mumbai.

Aucun commentaire: