18.10.10

on Helsinki

Helsinki must be one of the most respectable cities on earth. Other than the occasional drunk, it seems nothing ever goes wrong in the place. Everyone appears in control of their destiny, safe in the security that comes with one of the world’s most efficient welfare states. The education system is routinely classed as the world’s finest, and the health care system is in the same league.
That said, many of my earlier comments about Dusseldorf apply here too. I could simply never live in such a civilised place. I am too much of a savage to handle this degree of tranquillity. Yet I will always have a soft spot for Helsinki, certainly more than for other equally civilised places (Dusseldorf, Stockholm). I came here quite a lot as a child and teen, first with my father and then, in my late teens, alone of with mates. In those days it was a pleasant break from some of the chaos in Russia, and it was very close to St. Petersburg where I lived at the time. Things in Russia were very complicated at the time, and Helsinki always represented a welcome combination of calm and material comfort. That said, although I know Helsinki well, I have never been comfortable in it, I don’t understand its rules, or the way the people think and function. A Finnish friend has tried to explain and give suggestions, but her suggestions I found puzzling, and they served mainly to highlight how little in know about this nation. For example, she stressed the fact that my presentations must be impeccable, well- rehearsed and structured, but then even if they are, I should not expect much feedback from the audience. In fact, the most probable reaction is that they all cross their arms and stare at their feet- but supposedly that doesn’t mean they didn’t like it. She also stressed the importance of demonstrating imperfection, especially inn front of other women. This cannot be displayed in any presentation or work- related context, but should take some personal form, such as complaining that the zipper on my purse or jumper has broken! I blinked incredulously as she showed me how to demonstrate this in a “discretely obvious” way which I found totally bizarre. But then I freely acknowledge my techniques don’t work, so I suppose I have nothing to loose by trying out her moves the next time I am there. I wonder if at some point the Finns will get suspicious is suddenly a whole host of foreign people start showing up with zipper trouble?

Aucun commentaire: