10.6.10

on black bread

Unlike me, my father is a proper Scot. He claims bargain hunting is simply engrained in his DNA. Once in Manila we walked by a Diesel shop and my father said “lets go in and see what is on sale” although there was no obvious sign of any sale. Some 30 minutes later, after intense negotiations, we left with several leather belts which had been 40% off, and which my father talked down further until they became 60% off. I am wearing one now. He can haggle anyone vendor down by some margin: even if he doesn’t speak their language, he uses facial expressions to mysteriously push down the price.
At home where he lives he is something of a known quantity. He can tell you the price of anything in any local supermarket, and he knows every offer on at any moment. When he travels with me, we end up in random conversations, and sometimes even going for drinks with people he has met whilst discussing prices. I once left him alone in Punta Arenas, Chile for about 10 minutes, and when I came back he was drinking a coffee with some Chilean pensioners, discuss the price of salmon. My friend Conar noted that discussing prices is the Scottish generic conversation equivalent to the English standard comments on the weather. He might be right, but I maintain my father is an extreme case.
Yet what baffles me is his blind spot when it comes to Russia. Every time he visits me in Britain (which is rare) he complains endlessly about how overpriced everything is. But he consistently refuses to believe me when I complain about overpricing in Russia. His Russia is frozen in time, somewhere back in the Brezhnev era. When I try to persuade him, he claims I find it expensive because I live in a business traveller bubble. Maybe. But I am the same business traveller in Moscow that I am in Rome, Paris or Madrid- and Moscow is way more expensive than any of those. If I persist in my views, he insists that if only HE were there with me, he would ferret out good bargains. The last conversation on the matter ended with the argument ending declaration “well, you just don’t understand because you never faced down Adolf.” Once any conversation moves to the War, I know it is time to change topics.
Now I have decided to take scientific measures to prove my point. In doing so, I have been partly inspired by my childhood friend C. C works for some government agency (I forget which) and she monitors inflation. This involves getting pensioners, much like my father, to go around supermarkets and note down prices. If the pensioners she recruits are anything like my father, they were probably doing this anyway- C just makes sure they get paid for it. Presumably this information then gets compiled into some sort of database for government purposes. My aims however, are strictly personal. So I have started gathering receipts from grocery trips to different cities and taping them into the little black book I always carry on me. I then use it as concrete evidence to demonstrate to my father that he is allowing nostalgia to warp his bargain drive. Yet despite the presence of concrete evidence demonstrating that rice cakes in central London cost 85p, whilst in central Moscow they are £3.30, my father still refuses to accept my argument. “Man does not need rice cakes. If you had lived through the war, you would have looked at the price of black bread.” Probably I should give up, I sense this is a battle I shall never win.

7 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

I just came back from Moscow on Friday and can confirm it is OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE. A bloody Starbucs latte is 255 roubles, which nearly 6 quid - twice as much as in London. I also saw tomatoes selling for 300 roubles per kilo (almost 7 quid - ok, that was in Central Moscow, but what the hell, tomatoes don't cost that much even at WholeFoods on Kensington Hight Street!), and milk! milk! is 40 roubles per litre, which is more expensive than in London (mind you, it's UHT milk I am talking about here, not fresh milk). Aaaahhr. Better not get me started on this.

Anonyme a dit…

well, i think you have to differentiate between eating out/ having coffee, etc. and simply buying food in a supermarket. the former will be obviously much more expensive in moscow that elsewhere (i don't know how many times more expensive, 2, 3, 5 or 10).
the price level in the supermarkets varies greatly though
check this http://www.utkonos.ru/
it's the cheapest i know (of acceptable quality) in Moscow. It is still more expensive than my regular, slightly above the average supermarket in Budapest. But then again, we all know that Budapest is veery cheap ...

btw, say hello to your dad from me!

Anonyme a dit…

well, i think you have to differentiate between eating out/ having coffee, etc. and simply buying food in a supermarket. the former will be obviously much more expensive in moscow that elsewhere (i don't know how many times more expensive, 2, 3, 5 or 10).
the price level in the supermarkets varies greatly though
check this http://www.utkonos.ru/
it's the cheapest i know (of acceptable quality) in Moscow. It is still more expensive than my regular, slightly above the average supermarket in Budapest. But then again, we all know that Budapest is veery cheap ...

btw, say hello to your dad from me!

Anonyme a dit…

Маша, можешь мне поверить -цены в "Утконосе" выше, чем в Лондоне. У меня мужчина дома, я все время еду покупаю, знаю, о чем говорю.

naneh a dit…

what annoys me the most is that you are not guaranteed quality for the price you pay. i mean i can accept paying a lot of money if i know i will get some really top notch for it. but for example, at my hotel in moscow, i ordered soup and a salad one night for dinner from room service cause i was writing a report. the grecheskii salad was not that fresh, and the soup was small and very adverage in taste. i got a small bottle of wine that was the same size and quality of what they give you on the plane- and the bill came to £90! tea was £15 pounds alone. as i said, if the quality had been top, i wouldnt have minded, but i just felt like they were taking the piss.

Anonyme a dit…

I don't see why even good/top-quality stuff in Moscow should cost more than it costs elsewhere, to be honest. £15 for tea (or the £15 for a glass of fresh pomegranate juice I paid in Чайхана №1) is simply ludicrous and cannot be justified.

naneh a dit…

sure, there is no reason for top quality stuff to cost more in moscow than in other major cities, but what frustrates me is that even spending a lot of money doesnt mean you will get quality!
on a side note, just got in from rome- much better value for money!