31.12.08

2008

so for the fourth time in the history of this blog, i have come to the end of a year.
before writing this, i reread my previous end-of-the-year entries. last year i gave myself two goals for the year- to finish my thesis and change jobs. I managed one of those. the thesis is yet to be completed, although the first draft has made it past my supervisors and is now in revision stage. so, hopefully this year i will manage to achieve my goals. they will be the exact same as last year: finish the thesis and change jobs (again).  we shall see. 2009 seems set to be a difficult year for most people, as the economy is on the edge, and people are loosing their jobs all around the globe. although there were already whispers of recession this time last year, i never imagined things would work out as they have, with major banks going under, and another company going into administration seemingly every day. what will happen in 2009? i dont know, but it all seems scary at times.
As i assemble together the images of the past 12 months, i am struck by the fact that it was the first year in well over a decade i did not set foot once in Russia, even though i work for a Russian company. But i got to the favourite places of my youth- the southern cone, just in time for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Allende. Academically, i also moved back to my Latin American roots, taking part in a project on Cuba. somewhere in the dusty reels of fidel's speeches, i realised how much i had missed this part of my background. 
it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Aucun commentaire: