10.10.07

food

i think i have already written some entry like this before, but every time my mouth starts watering and i start getting hungry, this list comes to my mind.
Food I miss in England: London has a good selection of international food and I am greatly relieved that I have found a good Korean place to satisfy my pipinpop cravings. But there are still some things I haven’t found that I miss desperately.
1. grechka: it is the best breakfast, I don’t know why English people cant get that
2. mole: beans and chocolat what could be better???
3. Kefir: the ultimate hangover cure, which given the amount people here drink on weekend binges, should definitely be imported.
4. Tvorog/ turos: I like it in all forms, I like sirki with chocolat around the sides, and I like it in things like buns.
5. Burek od sira. The ultimate food to eat before going out. You will never get a hangover, you will never be hungary. Also good to take on long train rides.
6. Empanadas. Kind of like a Chilean varient on burek, but even better in that you can get them stuffed with so many different things. I have never seen them in London. You can get samosas here, which are good and the same relative size. But it is not the same thing.
7. Hachipuri: mmmmmm Georgian cheese…..mmmm….
8. makos puns. I am not even really sure of the term here in English. The dictionary tells me it is “poppy” but I have never seen a “poppy bun” in English. It is makos in Hungarian and mak in most Slavic languages. It is a black substance that is sweet and good in buns.
9. Kafa/kava: call it what you want, I am not getting into linguistic political correctness here. I miss it.

3 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

poppy seeds!
i can mail 1kg of grechka to you! i think they have it here, in germany. in berlin for sure.

i miss kimchi!!!
and i envy you have all this super nice japanease places in soho!!!!

naneh a dit…

grechka pleeeeeeseeeeee!!!!!!
but i have to say there is good kinchi in london, cant complain about that.

naneh a dit…

grechka pleeeeeeseeeeee!!!!!!
but i have to say there is good kinchi in london, cant complain about that.